How To: Paint By Numbers
We think that painting your own DIY Canvas can be an incredibly therapeutic and satisfying experience and if at the end of it, you get something new to hang proudly in your home at the same time, it’s a win all round!
You may have ordered something fun from our Paint By Numbers / DIY Canvas collection and are now wondering to yourself, “What is the best way to paint my new canvas?” Luckily, we’ve put together a handy beginners guide to paining a DIY Canvas to get you started.
Some handy tips before you begin:
- Find a nicely lit area to start on your painting so you can see your work clearly.
- Make sure your surface is protected - a plastic table cloth or some newspaper will work well.
- Have a container of water close by to clean your brushes in between colors.
- Also, be sure to have a cloth or some paper towel to dry your brushes in between washes.
CORRESPOND THE NUMBER WITH THE CORRECT COLOR
This seems like an obvious step but when you’re painting the numbers matching to the correct colors, try and only paint areas with that color before moving on to the next part of the painting.
Let those areas dry before moving on to another color. Clean your brushes with the water in between, enough that no color runs onto a cloth or paper towel once washed. This will prevent any colors mixing or bleeding into each other. You may need to use a very mild soap with lukewarm water.
COVERING THE NUMBERS
It may take an extra layer of paint to cover the numbers completely but just be careful and take your time so you don’t end up using too much paint.
Another painting tip for your DIY Canvas, is to start at the top and work your way down if you can, working on the smallest areas first, as this will help prevent smudging the paint with your hand!
MORE PAINTING TIPS
- If you need to, you can use a magnifying glass to zoom in on certain areas or you can use our LED tracing tray to light your mural from the back as you paint so the numbers are much easier to see.
- If you’re a complete painting beginner, practice some brush strokes on a piece of paper to get used to how much or how little paint you will need on your brush. This will save you from going over any borders or putting on too much paint on your actual canvas.
- Don’t rush your painting, give plenty of drying time between colors and paint carefully to avoid mistakes. It will be worth it in the end!
FRAMING YOUR DIY CANVAS
Allow your painting to completely dry before framing your completed canvas. Then all you have to do is find somewhere perfect for it to hang in your home! Look back it and go "Oooh and wooooow!"